Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Use of Pronouns in Discussion

Our discussion yesterday surrounding cultural assimilation/annihilation throughout history had both a progressive feel, in that I believe the class was moving in a particular direction rather than stagnation, and was helpful in showing me just how little I know about topics of ethnicity.  Being a part of the "Puerto Rico" presentation, I was considering topics and ideas that I had previously failed to take the time to consider.

That being said, it got me to thinking about my use of pronouns and seemingly absent, or broad, qualifiers to analyze fault.  We sit in class and consider different ethnic groups but the class tends to move in a direction of "We shouldn't do this..." "I can't believe what happened to them..." "Shame on White people."

While these qualifiers are able to expound upon the emotion of our history, they lack sincere judgement.  We are able to "blame" a figurative someone that doesn't really exist.  As an advocate for these issues, I must stop using such broad words. Those of us who fall into such habits, are only able to express our personal feelings on the issue and cannot force change --- because the force is empty.

When we speak of past events, one might argue that we lack the historical perspective/judgmental capability, yet these issues have current implications. Take the issue of Puerto Rico's initiation into "American Culture" and the subsequent issue of a national language.  That debate is happening now. And the failure I seem to continue to come back to is answers like "We need to do better" "We cannot discriminate against the spanish language as a country." Were does this get me? Practically no where.  Yes, I have proven my opinion to the issue --- but I have failed to address the issue at its source. I cannot solve a problem "we" have.

Finding the right channels to become apart of the conversation is important.  I need to begin finding those channels, and the proper names to address my issues to, rather than simply demanding "We change."

Broadly, when citizens of the United States have issues with the federal governments policies, we become so angsty regarding our opinions that it festers into an unhealthy personal soapbox. Opinions need to be expressed to the proper channels of those in power, rather than every 4 years when awareness seems to be heightened and we can point to one man to fix it all, but doesn't it seem to be more like noise at that point?

Our power is in representatives --- stop screaming into the abyss, speak to a real person, not a pronoun or generalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment