Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Writing Circle #1, A Reflection

Our writing circle offered a variety of points worth the emphasis of written reflection.  I have yet to find a true direction for my research report, but I do find myself getting a wholeistic view of some major topics.

Let me begin by organizing my thoughts: The organization of education in the United States has been a large and arduous task. Early conversations about the "Common School" go much further than the implications of educating our county's adolescent population.  Issues of: child labor laws, class mobility, patriotism, and generally, a national identity, seemed to play major roles.  Education may have simply been the battle ground for these conversations. Regardless of the missing context we sincerely lack, the ultimate question seems to have to parts: (1) Were do we fit in the history of education? (2) how much control do we have to change the educational system?

Conversation on these topics have been drawn out, fitted and, at times, it feels as though I have a nice base to build my educational experience.

Quick-conversation topic: the growth of private and public schools in this country as a parallel educational experience.  My initial belief about the difference between the two types of schooling was based upon a lack of knowledge, little-to-zero experience, and generalities.  Our group conversation considering the rise of both, and the implications behind the difference in education, offered insight and has gotten the ball rolling for me about this issue.  I am interested in possibly pursuing this topic as a research paper. I'd like to discuss this more in class. 



No comments:

Post a Comment